Sunday, June 12, 2011

First half 2011 update

So far in 2011, I have been working on laying a foundation of work to build upon and raced a handful of times.

As I have a tendency of doing, the year began with a little too much training volume. MASSIVE volume was the theme of January, including lifetime bests in running volume. By the time February began I decided to recharge my battery before I fried myself for the year. Since March the key variable that I am emphasizing is CONSISTENCY!

I have raced a handful of times so far:
  • 10k swim in Pensacola-- I swam faster and probably straighter than last year. I won my age group and had a lot of fun! I like doing this event, because compared to it it makes any triathlon swim feel like a breeze!
  • Memorial Day Practice Sprint Triathlon @ Joe Connick's-- Another fun day. I felt good to push on the swim and bike but I ran cautiously since this was only 5 days before the Grandman Triathlon in Fairhope. This event confirmed that I need to start doing more quality running in general...
  • Grandman Triathlon-- This was a frustrating swim due to the shallow water. Fun and fast bike. Then a run split which was on par with the training that I have done, but still disappointing. Overall, I finished 23rd out of 600+ and 5th in my age group out of 70+.
  • 5k run in Pascagoula-- I ran 20:59 on my watch and 21:00 official time. Very consistent splits. I am pleased with this at this point, but I've got to improve my top end run speed if I am ever going to achieve my long term goals. I need to start doing more open running races in the future.
As I transition into the 2nd half of my season, I am going to really focus on improving the quality of my run training. This is the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment