Tuesday, April 6, 2010

March Training Totals

March brought about another solid month of base building. Fortunately, March also represented my return to regular run training. Here are the totals:

Swim-- 38h 59m 125,080.7 yards (Several swims were in a meter pool, the conversion to yards is why that it is listed to the fraction of a yard...)
Bike-- 64h 29m 1,206.8 miles
Run-- 4h 13m 33 miles
Deep water running-- 9h 12m
Resistance training-- 8h 55m
Total: 124h 49m (4 hours of training per day, 28 hours per week)

14 days of 5 or more hours of training.
Zero days with 0 hours of training.

Swimming is going well for the most part. I swim masters several times per week and augment those workouts with LOTS of supplementary volume. The only negative to date related to swimming is that I strained a neck muscle while swimming butterfly mid-month. This little setback cost me some training time in all 3 sports. For now, butterfly is going on the backburner...

Due to the neck issue, my bike mileage for the month was *slightly* down. Still a solid amount of work. More so than in February I was able to integrate much more quality riding. Several solid days going hard in the hills, a couple of time trial workouts and an aggressive charity ride where we averaged 25mph for 21 miles. Also, I seem to be getting one really big Overdistance day per month. In February it was a 162 mile day, for March I got in a 182 mile effort! Finally, many of my rides are simply recovery rides on flat terrain in the small chain ring. These seemingly mundane efforts are really helping me get smoother pedal stroke, which is helping me ride hills better.

I am really excited to Start running again. I am proceeding cautiously with my mileage. So far, things are going well. I think that the swim and bike fitness I built while being injured is helping me transition into the running.

Most of my runs were only 2 miles long. Since my training mileage is so low, I have been making efforts at crosstraining with deep water running, which seems to be quite effective. I plan to continue it, even when I am doing normal running mileage.

I'm excited to continue the training into April. The running mileage will increase, but it will still be within a conservative range. There will be more quality days in all 3 sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment